Tax Day is April 15th. If you’re a woman in business you may be feeling a little worried or even whiny about the whole process. You might be wondering how much you’re going to be paying or what you owe, and then how you’ll pay what you owe. (See how our mind can wind around itself with worry?)Read More
If you're a woman in business and you've been in business 3 years or more January is a great time to assess how it's going. You're hitting the crucial 3 to 5 year mark where, I'm sorry to say this, most businesses fail. Or, your business may bump along, more in the way of a hobby than a real business.Read More
More Money Will Make You How Much Happier? There is so much pressure in our society to always go after MORE, more, more money. Addictive, anyone?
But, research shows that after someone’s earning $75,000 a year, more money, even a lot more, doesn’t make them any happier. Well, a little bit happier – about 9% happier.
So, if it’s not true that MORE money will make you happier, what is the truth? According to Happy Money authors Elizabeth Dunn & Michael Norton, (two Harvard professors), there are 3 keys to being happier with your money:
1) Buy experiences vs. stuff. When students were asked to think about 4 material purchases and 4 experiential purchases and to draw circles and place those circles around a larger circle called SELF - depending on how closely linked each purchase was to their sense of self, the experiential purchases won hands down as being more important.
2) Make it a treat & SAVE money. If you go to Starbucks every day and spend $5.00 it’s expensive and it’s less of a treat than 1x a week. Try this: Try limiting your visits to 3x a week or 1x a week for that special latte. and drink regular coffee the other days. I tell my 5 year old granddaughter Shelby that she can have 2 Hershey kisses after her nap – she looks forward to those and enjoys them thoroughly and rarely asks for more. Treats have Value. Bonus: How much $$ can you SAVE a week with just that simple adjustment?
3) Buy Time: One stressed, over-working mother of two children, hamsters and hubby bought a Roomba to help with housework. The $300.00 purchase saved this household time in cleaning and stress.
Time Affluence: Everyone feels overly busy and you may be shocked, as I was, to hear this bit of research, but the time crunch is due in good part to financial prosperity. In general America is wealthier now than 50 years ago. “Wealthier individuals spend more of their time on higher stress activities shopping, working and commuting."
”TIME SCARCITY”: increases the value of what’s perceived as scarce: As incomes rise, time seems more valuable!!
The authors recommend not using money to get more time, but to value happier time as an end in itself. Switch the focus from making more money to having more time. Ah...feel better?
Women in business, do you suffer from Moneychondria, the fear of having money?
I know it sounds funny, but maybe you’re more afraid of money than you realize...
Are any of these Financially Stressful things true for you?
* You spend more than you make.
* You “debt,” or consistently run up credit card debt.
* You under-earn or…
* You overspend or shop when stressed or anxious
* You give your money away to children and other “needy” folks and don’t keep enough for yourself – for a safety cushion or retirement.
It’s safe to say many of us have conflicts about money.
Why? We want the American Dream and yet reaching it can prove to be illusive. After all – how much money is enough? And, how much is too much?
Get curious instead of furious with your money challenges. Take action to identify money challenges and DO something proactive by creating a PLAN and Specific Steps to move forward.
I help women make more money – by breaking through money barriers to create Prosperity & have FUN in the process. Next FREE Financial Freedom Introductory Webinar for Women in Business Aug 20th /womens-inner-money-game-free/
Next FREE 3 Steps to Financial Freedom Webinar Aug 20 /womens-inner-money-game-free/